About Fish Stock
You may think, making fish stock is very time-consuming and labor-intensive, but making your own fish stock is really quick and is a perfect method, to use all the parts of the animal. Once made, you can freeze your homemade fish stock and use it for a big variety of dishes, like stews, risottos, soups or ceviche. It will always bring you some extra flavor and is more natural and healthy than buying fish stock in powder from the supermarket.
The best fish bones to use for making fish stock, are from white and mild fish. Avoid using fatty or strong tasting fish like salmon, trout or mackerel.
Fish Stock Recipe
- 500 g fish bones and head
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalk of celery
- 1/2 leek
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander corns
- 3 liters water
- Wash the fish bones and the head with cold water.
- Cut the vegetables into cubes.
- Put the fish bones in a pot and add the water.
- Add all the cut vegetables and the aromatics.
- Bring to a boil. When boiling, turn down the heat, and let cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Strain everything and let the stock cool down. Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze.